Gemini crypto exchange works like many other exchanges. It’s possible for you to buy cryptocurrency using fiat currency or crypto.
Gemini crypto exchange works like many other exchanges. It’s possible for you to buy cryptocurrency using fiat currency or crypto. You can send your crypto to the exchange from your wallet or fund your account with a bank transfer or debit card purchase. Additionally, Gemini offers trading between cryptocurrency pairs, allowing you to trade one crypto for another without the need to convert to a fiat currency first.
You can buy, trade, or store more than 30 crypto assets with Gemini, including coins like Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Dogecoin (DOGE), Ethereum (ETH), Polkadot (DOT), and Uniswap (UNI). On top of that, Gemini offers its own stablecoin, the Gemini dollar (GUSD), which is backed by the U.S. dollar.
Gemini offers several features and products, including:
- Gemini Earn: Use your crypto balance, including stablecoins, to earn up to 7.4% APY (as of Aug. 10, 2021). Actual APYs will vary depending on the coins you hold. One nice feature of Gemini Earn is that there aren’t requirements to keep your crypto for a set period of time to earn a yield. You can move your crypto and any interest earned back into your trading account at any time.
- ActiveTrader: For those more interested in active trading, it’s possible to use this platform to execute complex orders in less than a second. Fees are based on volume, and it's possible to make trades that aren’t normally available on the “regular” exchange.
- Gemini Dollar: Gemini’s proprietary stablecoin is linked to the U.S. dollar and is highly liquid. It can be used on a number of other decentralized exchanges. Additionally, you can keep it in your Gemini account to earn interest, and it can be used with Gemini Pay at select retailers.
- Gemini Pay: You can use the Gemini mobile app to pay at more than 30,000 retailers in the United States. It’s possible to pay using crypto, so you don’t have to make an effort to exchange your crypto for fiat currency on your own.
- Gemini Wallet: Gemini offers both a hot wallet and a cold storage system. On top of that, Gemini has insurance to cover the coins you keep with their service.
- Gemini Clearing: If you’re interested in off-exchange trading, you can choose to trade directly with another party. Gemini offers clearing services for peer-to-peer trades.
Gemini also offers the Gemini Credit Card, which can earn you rewards in the form of over 60 different cryptocurrencies.
On top of offering insurance on crypto wallets — something somewhat rare for crypto exchanges — Gemini also employs multi-factor authentication and follows best practices for security. Not only that, but Gemini is a licensed New York trust company and submits to bank exams. There are multiple internal controls and other measures in place to protect the exchange and your account.
You can access Gemini on mobile for iOS and Android and purchase the app in the Samsung Galaxy store.
Gemini could be a good choice for someone looking for an easy way to build a crypto portfolio and access other financial services in conjunction with using cryptocurrencies. While you might want to be an intermediate trader before trying Gemini, there are also some features that might be good for beginner cryptocurrency investors.
Last modified 4mo ago